Chicken Soup for the sick Pregnant Girl

Monday, July 11, 2016

  this past week has been hectic, busy, and just plain  exhausting.  
yesterday I thought that i was seeing the light at the end of the sickness tunnel.
I think that I may have jinxed myself and made it worse today.
oops!
Because I have been sick for a week now I figured what could make me feel better and of course 
homemade chicken soup could help the feeling better process. 
So that is exactly what I did yesterday.
After laying on the couch all day Saturday I got up yesterday and 
made some soup to attempt to make me feel normalish. 
I wanted to share the recipe with you guys while it is still fresh on my mind.
we buy our whole chickens fresh from a local farmer. They have less fat on them so you 
aren't skimming all the fat off the soup while the chicken cook.


Chicken Soup
5 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
6 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium white onion, chopped
small bag of frozen corn
whole chicken
salt and pepper to taste
homemade or low sodium chicken stock

Put your chicken in a large dutch oven or pot. Fill it 3/4 full with water and cook on medium- high heat for about a hour or until you chicken is completely cooked. Take the chicken out and place in on a plate to cool. Skim the fat and chicken pieces out of the dutch oven. I use strainer to do this that way I do not have to transfer the hot pot anywhere. Toss in your potatoes, carrots, and onion. Let them cook until they are soft. This takes about 15 minutes. I always test a potato and carrot. Those usually take longer to cook than the onions do. After they are done cooking I  shred my cooled chicken with two forks or my hands. I toss the chicken in the pot and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Add your small bag of corn and stir everything together.   You can add more chicken stock at this time if needed. Sometimes I need more chicken stock and sometimes I still have enough in the pot. This is when I check for salt and pepper. I usually add some and check back in 5 minutes. You do not want to add to much at one time. Once the seasoning is just how you want it I let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes to make sure that the flavors have all married together. Then you are ready to serve. 

* side note I take my two chicken legs off my whole chicken and toss them in the pot when I cook my veggies. I usually leave them in there until right before serving. The best stock comes from the chicken bones so it adds just a little extra flavor.

This recipe is super simple and very comforting when you are sick. I try to make this a couple times a year but especially when you aren't feeling well. I hope that you enjoy.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs